Pics, Links, eStore, Stuff...

Tuesday, November 10, 2020

A brief word to Christians telling me not to worry about the outcome of this election...

 Psalm 137

1 By the rivers of Babylon we sat and wept
when we remembered Zion.
2 There on the poplars
we hung our harps,
3 for there our captors asked us for songs,
our tormentors demanded songs of joy;
they said, “Sing us one of the songs of Zion!”
4 How can we sing the songs of the Lord
while in a foreign land?
5 If I forget you, Jerusalem,
may my right hand forget its skill.
6 May my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth
if I do not remember you,
if I do not consider Jerusalem
my highest joy.
7 Remember, Lord, what the Edomites did
on the day Jerusalem fell.
“Tear it down,” they cried,
“tear it down to its foundations!”
8 Daughter Babylon, doomed to destruction,
happy is the one who repays you
according to what you have done to us.
9 Happy is the one who seizes your infants
and dashes them against the rocks.
This Psalm is just one of many scriptures where open patriotism and love for country are heralded. Where the emotional disposition of the writer is directly tied to the fate of his homeland.
To my Christian friends -well meaning, non doubt-- who insist on telling me that "God is in control" and "This is part of God's plan" and "I'm a citizen of Heaven," read the Psalm again. Throughout scripture there are examples of deep love for homeland and concern for her fate. Even Jesus, in his discourse with the woman at the well, and in other parts of the Gospel, made it clear He was there for Israel, first.
Last Tuesday very well might have begun the last days of this wonderful nation. This country is all I have. It's the only family to which I am CERTAIN I belong. (Beside the family of faith, obviously) Please spare me the high handed Bumper Sticker theology and platitudes. We're in more danger this morning than we were on 9/11. We're closer to the precipice than ever in our history and it was done by our own people. It wasn't the outside forces who figured out how to steal an election...it was people claiming to be the same American I am.
If this doesn't break your heart, good for you. But please don't try convincing me that Christians are somehow above Patriotism. There are too many examples in scripture for that to be accurate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I value your comments. However, to keep the content "G Rated" all comments will be moderated. Please no mention of other web sites without prior approval